As a dental practice we are well aware of the hidden sugars in our diets but the majority of the general public are none the wiser, ignorance is bliss after all. Before I was aware of hidden sugars I would happily sip on Ribena throughout the day not knowing the effects it could have on my teeth.. after all it’s all about knowing and if you haven’t really looked into it then how are you supposed to make an informed decision.
So Jamie Oliver has done it again, hitting out at David Cameron who is currently developing the Childhood Obesity Strategy. Jamie Oliver is calling for clearer labelling on all drinks and has even posted a picture on his well known social media page with labels stating just how much sugar is in those drinks!!
Below is the picture Jamie Oliver posted and just a snippet of what he wrote…
“The industry doesn’t like this idea because in my opinion they would prefer you to be confused so you buy more product. confusion = ££! have a look at the current nutritional labelling below my hack, there is no way it’s as clear and fast to understand is it?! Also guys be aware that these amounts apply to 250ml which is Half the bottle AND this is for Adult reference intake ?!? Not a child’s ??? Confused Yeah!!😕”
So Mr Oliver makes a VERY good point, it’s all about confusion. We as the general public are led to believe that Coca Cola based drinks are bad for your teeth/health but drinks such as Blackcurrant or Orange juice are good for you?! Well I’m afraid to say the majority of the time they have just as much sugar and are not just bad for your teeth but also your waistline..
To put it into perspective just take a look at these comparisons…
- One Starbucks coffee has as much sugar as 10 bowls of Golden Grahams
- Lucozade sport drink has the same amount of sugar as two Walls Magnum Ice Creams
- 250ml serving of white grape juice contains the same sugar as four Krispy Kreme doughnuts
- Orange fruit juice contains the same amount of sugar as three-and-a-half doughnuts or 13 hobnob biscuits
- The sugar in Ribena is the same as munching on 13 oreo biscuits
- Innocent smoothie has the same amount of sugar as 3 & 1/2 Krispy kreme doughnuts
- Rockstar energy drink contain as much sugar as 20 Maryland cookies
Here is a picture of how much sugar is in your drinks… as you can see the only sugar safe drink is water…
Return to Blog